chooseya

A World Between Us
Lydia Syson
Witchfall
Victoria Lamb

Last Breath (Morganville Vampires Series #11)

Last Breath - Rachel Caine Full review here, originally published Dec 19 2011: http://chooseya.com/2011/12/19/review-last-breath-by-rachel-caine/The entire book was a huge roller coaster of action, emotion and more twists and turns than ever before. I don't want to spoil it but I would happily say it is the best of the series so far. Caine has really developed Claire and Shane and their complicated relationship is well executed. When you consider everything they have gone through in the series, it's a sign of Caine's writing that you don't doubt them or get bored by their troubles. They are the couple I root for the most in the series.Claire has also grown into a real heroine. She is just a human and has limitations because of this, but she is loyal, resourceful and brave. She makes mistakes and she learns from them, as she has throughout the series. The Claire in Glass Houses is great and I loved her, but the Claire here is much stronger, as after everything she's been through she would have to be.As a wide reader of YA, I couldn't help imagining Magnus as Cassandra Clare's Magnus at first, but within a few pages, it was more than clear we were dealing with something a lot more sinister.What I really liked about Last Breath was that Caine was unafraid to take her writing or plot to places that were big gambles- ones that I would say paid dividends though! I don't want to spoil the plot too much for you because part of the enjoyment of the book for me was the "Whoa, did that just happen?" moments (just know there are lots and one in particular was one of them will hit you a bit like a freight train at first).I cannot wait to see where Caine takes this series which has been extended to 15 books. I really don't want to leave Morganville or its characters behind just yet. I definitely recommend this book to fans of the series, it might just be the best one yet.