chooseya

A World Between Us
Lydia Syson
Witchfall
Victoria Lamb

Blood Warrior (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #1)

Blood Warrior (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #1) - H.D. Gordon So when I first received this book for review, I was a little apprehensive. A lot of my goodreads friends loved this book and I was worried about not liking it myself. Although this debut carries many of the same tropes of many other YA novels, I found it really engaging and fun to read.I loved the ending. Not only did it make me want more, come on Half Blood Soul, but it also really went against what I normally expect and feel a little frustrated at with YA novels : where the heroine goes off on an adventure with the boy and love will happen and so on. By not doing this and having Alexa go without Kayden or Jackson it made me really sit up and think here is a YA heroine that may in fact be a heroine.The story is quick paced, with very short chapters that I think could overall have combined in places, but worked generally. I think I personally would have liked more of Nelly, Jackson and Alexa on their own before they discovered the settlement, but the set-up there was interesting and I thought the group politics were well done and chilling in places.I think while love triangles are really prevalent in YA at the moment, I kind of liked this one. That said I think I'm Team Jackson because I always like to root for the guy who liked someone from the start than the new person who just sweeps in. Both characters are engaging. An engaging, fun read I do recommend. I look forward to more of HD Gordon's work!